Jackfruit "Crab" Cakes
Prep time 30 mins
Cook time 40 mins
Total time 1 hour 10 mins
Arame adds a mild seafood flavor, but if it's not available, try a little crumbled sushi nori.
Author: Susan Voisin - Serves: 9
- 1 small onion
- 1 20 ounce can young green jackfruit in water or brine, rinsed and well drained
- 14 ounces firm tofu or 1 15-ounce can white beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons dried arame, crushed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning (or more to taste)
- 2 large cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (or salt to taste)
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard, any variety
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup oatmeal (quick or regular oats) or quinoa flakes, uncooked)
- Breading, optional (see below)
- Chop the onion finely in food processor and place it in a medium bowl. Drain the jackfruit and rinse it well and add it to the processor. Pulse until it is broken into rough pieces about 1/2-inch in size; keep it fairly coarse and be careful not to grind it into a paste. Add it to the onions.
- Place the tofu or white beans into the processor along with all remaining ingredients except oatmeal and breading. Pulse to crumble the tofu finely and distribute the seasonings. Add the tofu mixture to the bowl along with the oatmeal, and stir well to combine with the jackfruit and onions. Refrigerate for about 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. If you are using a breading (see note below), spread it on a large plate.
- Scoop up about 1/3 cup of the burger mixture and shape it into a patty. Place it into the breading, if desired, sprinkle a little breading on top, and gently pat into the top and sides. Carefully place it on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining mixture. Bake for 20 minutes. Carefully turn over each cake and bake for another 20 minutes. Serve alone with tartar sauce and spicy ketchup or on a bun.
- You can use bread crumbs (including gluten-free), crushed crackers, or panko to bread the cakes or you can leave them unbreaded. For fresh bread crumbs, use about two slices of bread, crumbled in a blender or food processor. For crackers and panko, use about 2-3 ounces.
- Makes about 7 cakes with beans, 9 with tofu. Nutritional data below are for cakes with tofu but without breading.
- With beans, excluding breading, each cake provides 93 calories, 10 calories from fat, 1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 354.5mg sodium, 204.8mg potassium, 15.5g carbohydrates, 3.1g fiber, less than 1g sugar, 5.7g protein
- Nutrition Information Serving size: 1/9 of recipe Calories: 82 Fat: 3.1g Carbohydrates: 6.8g Sodium: 354mg Fiber: 1.4g Protein: 6.7g