Curried Red Lentil Dahl
Ready in 35mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable stock powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped coriander, leaf
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Cook onion and garlic, stirring frequently, until the onion has softened and is turning clear.
- Add bay leaf and spices and cook, stirring continuously, for 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Tip in the lentils and the stock (made with the water and the stock powder), bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cover the pan with a lid whilst simmering, so that the liquid does not evaporate too quickly.
- Cook until the lentils are tender, about 25 - 30 minutes.
- Stir in the coriander and serve.
- Suggested accompaniments, steamed rice, naan bread, poppadoms.